Wednesday, June 10, 2009

TECHNOLOGY!!




I subscribe to the theory, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" However, the gang in Washington has decreed that the digital TV conversion will take place on Friday. I understand the reasons why. But that doesn't help the fact that I had to buy a new TV yesterday.

In my kitchen is a little TV/radio combo... black and white TV that is!!! I just watch it while I'm cooking during meal times and to catch the news. My little set works perfectly for being an ancient ruin. I simply plug it on wherever I want to take it, turn it on and watch TV.

Yesterday that changed when I bought a new 19" TV. Sure it has all the bells and whistles and a DVD built in. And this was the LEAST complicated TV that I could find. The salesman assures my that it's a piece of cake to set up and oh by the way, don't forget to the buy the antenna. I wasn't going to add the TV to our cable. So home I trudge with TV and antenna.

I take out the quick and easy instruction sheet and start unpacking the box. Good Lord... it's got more parts than a 747!! The back of the set has some many plug holes, etc. and I'm like what the hell??

OK so now I grab the big instruction booklet and start reading from page 1. I'd like to think that I am a reasonably intelligent person. I understood the Spanish part of the booklet better then the English part and I don't even speak Spanish!! Frustration sets in... big time.

Time to call for help. Thankfully I have a very dear friend who works in tech support for a computer company. I call him with my tale of woe. He down loads the booklet for my TV to TRY to understand what I'm babbling about and to help. After much trial and error, the TV is set up. Then I have to deal with the antenna. More cursing and swearing... good ole military training is coming back in full force!!! Talked like a drunken sailor and cursed until I was red in the face. It doesn't do a damn thing for the TV or antenna but it sure made me feel better! My friend had not experienced my colorful language before and just roared with laughter.

Meanwhile, spousal unit who knows LESS about technology then I do wants to know what's going on and why don't I just call Comcast and add the TV to our account. Nevermind that this is the same person who tells me he doesn't want me to put it on the cable.

In frustration, I call Comcast. The tech just left the house! My TV is wonderful.... getting all my channels... life is good! The antenna gets returned to the store tomorrow.

Please dear God.... no more tech changes for me for a very long, long time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment